Cooked in butter and our savory veggie stock with red onion, thyme and sage, this carrots and parsnips recipe makes the perfect side dish for your holiday table or a weeknight dinner. Use carrots only, or a combination of root vegetables!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, trimmed, peeled and cut in 1/4-inch diagonal slices
- 1 1/2 pounds parsnips, trimmed, peeled and cut in 1/4-inch diagonal slices
- 1 red onion, trimmed, peeled and sliced
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons Kitchen Accomplice Veggie Broth Concentrate or 4 teaspooons Vegan Plant-Based No-Bone Broth Concentrate
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add carrots, parsnips and onion, and season with a little salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots and parsnips start to get tender, about 7 to 8 minutes.
Stir in Kitchen Accomplice Veggie Broth Concentrate or Vegan Plant-Based No-Bone Broth Concentrate and water and add the thyme sprigs (or dried thyme and sage if you’re using dried herbs). Bring liquid to a simmer, cover the pan and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until vegetables are very tender.
Remove the lid from the pan and cook a few minutes more, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove thyme sprigs, gently stir in fresh sage and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serves 6 – 8.