- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 4 teaspoons Kitchen Accomplice Veggie Broth Concentrate or 8 teaspoons Vegan Plant-Based No-Bone Broth Concentrate dissolved in 2 cups hot water
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus additional as needed
- Ground black pepper
For toppings, take your choice of chopped fresh cilantro, shredded Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese, sour cream, diced avocados, chopped scallions, prepared salsa and crumbled tortilla chips.
Warm oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and green pepper and sauté until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin and chili powder, and cook for 1 minute more.
Transfer the mixture to a 6- to 8-quart slow cooker. Add instant coffee, reconstituted Kitchen Accomplice Veggie Broth Concentrate or Vegan Plant-Based No-Bone Broth Concentrate, beans, tomatoes, salt and several grinds of black pepper and stir well to blend. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
Season to taste with additional salt and black pepper and serve with a selection of toppings.
Serves 4 – 6.