- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch red pepper flakes or to taste
- 2 cups hot water
- 4 teaspoons Kitchen Accomplice Beef Broth Concentrate or 8 teaspoons Kitchen Accomplice Organic Beef Bone Broth Concentrate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni or penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for serving
Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add sausage, breaking up the pieces as you stir, and cook until it's no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in bay leaf, red pepper flakes, water and Kitchen Accomplice Beef Broth Concentrate or Beef Bone Broth Concentrate. Bring mixture to a simmer, and cook until liquid is syrupy, about 20 minutes.
Stir in cream and simmer another 5 minutes. Season to taste generously with salt and pepper. (This sauce can be made up to one day ahead of serving. Cool slightly, then store in a covered container in the refrigerator. Rewarm sauce before proceeding with the rest of the recipe.)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove bay leaf from the sauce and add pasta and Parmesan, stirring well to blend. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Transfer pasta/sauce mixture to an oiled 3 1/2-quart baking dish. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until pasta is hot, about 25 minutes. Serve sprinkled with additional Parmesan.